30 December 2006

My New MacBook

I've just got my hands a brand new MacBook. So far my Apple experience has been great.

What I've liked so far:
  • All of my favourite UNIX commands are available (ls, grep, mount, bash, vi, rsync, etc.)
  • Beautiful UI. The font rendering especially is superb.
  • System Preferences UI seems logical. No hunting down preference options in weird places, unlike in Windows.
  • I don't have to mess around with configuration files in order to get correct modeline to be used.
  • Spotlight is great.
  • Mounting shares is easy. It can be slightly tricky in Linux with regards to setting permissions.
  • Adium is a great app.
  • Automator is fantastic.
Minor problems that I've encountered so far:
  • Finder could do with an address bar.
  • Setting up my networked printer was a bit of challenge.
  • Getting shares to mount on startup/login. I got there in the end, but I was a bit lost without an /etc/fstab.
  • mount -o loop -t iso9660 my.iso /mnt/cdrom doesn't work.
  • Spotlight doesn't seem like it wants to index my network drives.
  • No native support for ogg.
I've downloaded xcode and I'm going to see if I can write a metadata importer for my ogg files.

No comments: